Inconsistent Views Towards Animal Rights

Discuss animal rights, and discuss moral and legal issues related to the treatment of animals

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:42 pm

by Scott Hughes

Among other reasons, I became a vegan because I cannot justify needlessly killing an animal. If I needed to kill and eat animals to survive, I would. However, we do no longer need to kill animals to survive. A person can just as easily survive without eating meat, while remaining just as healthy.

In fact, we have the technology to essentially create meat without killing animals, considering how simple of a substance meat is. We recreate meat in the form of meat substitutes, such as soy burgers.

Despite their ability to live easily without killing animals for food, many people still choose to eat meat. These people do not grant animals the right to life. If a person murdered another person and then ate that other person, almost all people would adamantly oppose it. Meanwhile, these same people slaughter animals without giving it a second thought.

It is hard to understand why murdering a human is so objectionable while murdering an animal is not. Most of us vegans and animal rights supporters view that as very inconsistent.

The inconsistency of people's views towards animal rights goes further, though. While people carelessly murder animals because they like the taste of meat and the look of leather, these same people fall heads over heels about "cuter" animals. For example, pigs are generally smarter than dogs, but many people object to the idea of needlessly murdering and eating a dog.

People look at Michael Vick like he is a monster for organizing dog fights, which is utterly hypocritical and inconsistent. Fighting dogs probably do not suffer any more than factory-farmed chickens who are debeaked, stuffed into an over-packed cage, and eventually slaughtered. Why do people think it is fine to make animals suffer for the enjoyment of leather or the taste of a meaty burger, but not for the entertainment of a dog fight?

Of course, many people have inconsistent views when it even comes to entertainment and animal rights. Having dogs fight or cock fights for entertainment is seen as wrong and often made illegal, but hunting for entertainment is a common pastime.

Some may try to excuse the inconsistency by saying that killing is not as horrible as making the animal suffer while staying alive. However, there is still more inconsistency here. Why then do they not have a problem with animal testing? Animal testers carelessly torture animals with unsafe and dangerous products to make perfumes and other needless products. If needlessly torturing animals for petty pleasures is so objectionable to these people, it is inconsistent for them to buy beauty products that have been tested on animals.

Simply put, most people base their views regarding animal rights on emotions rather than on rationality, which results in irrational inconsistencies. Many people do not want to reconsider their inconsistent views regarding animal rights, because that would likely lead to giving up meat, leather, and other animal products.

About the Author: Scott Hughes owns and operates VeganClub.org which is a great website with information about veganism and animal rights. You can discuss these ideas and more in the Vegan Forums. It's completely free, and all viewpoints are welcome.

Please post comments and replies! :D
Vegan Club ~ Please suggest ways to improve this site, thanks!
Scott
Site Admin

Postby Holly.V.B » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:16 am

I really couldnt agree more with you!!
The inconsistency is terrible, and personally makes me sick.
I wish I knew how to do more stop this needless cruelty.
For those shallow enough to not care about the welfare of animals but to care about the benefits of Veganism, I was thinking of doing a presentation at college (it has to be "Health Benefits Of...")
I'd like to think they'd "see the light" as we did, through our deep, natural compassion for animals but I thought getting them to see it period would be a help.
Would it be okies for me to reference to your article in it??
Holly.V.B

Well put.

Postby lmvaccaro » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:38 pm

This article is very well written! Concise yet completely rational and level headed. There is NO reason why anyone should be consuming meat! I appreciate this argument and only wish it was something we could broadcast to everyone..

Good work.
lmvaccaro

Inconsistent View Due to Ignorance?

Postby sweet_delina17 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 am

I really liked this article because it effectively proved the point that people have a very distorted and contradictory view about animal rights.

One comment I'd like to make on the issue is that (at least where I'm from) the majority of people I have talked to since switching over do not exactly have a hypocritical attitude but an uninformed attitude. "Ignorance is bliss." if you know what I mean. They are open and receptive to information, but just don't seem to know any better. Their mom raised them on cow's milk, cheese and butter on your toast, and a big slab of steak with gravy on it.

The most frequent comment I've gotten so far, when telling someone that I can't eat something because I am vegan, is "Well you're going to have to watch you get enough protein. (Or calcium, or iron). People ask me all the time "How do you keep your bones strong if you don't drink milk?" These poor people are being happily brainwashed into thinking everything from 'cheese is good for you!' to 'meat sure tastes good!' (when the fact is that two weeks after I switched over I couldn't even stand the smell of meat anymore)

What I think is that we need to find a way to inform people without jamming the cruelty aspect down their throats first. Because the moment you start telling them that cows are hung upside downand their throats are slit so they bleed to death while writhing in agony . . . a sensitive young mother or an emotional teenager might cringe and cover their ears and tell you that they don't want to hear it, that they are happy not knowing those types of things. A better way to approach them is often on a health level. Telling them "Did you know that meat has absolutely no fibre in it and less protein than a handful of lentils?" This will get them thinking. Then they can do their own research.

There are many other ways of approaching people like on an environmental scale. If someone you know is an environmentalist (like my brother in law, for example) approach them by saying "You know, I just recently found out that over half the water consumption in america is used for livestock and cattle outnumber human beings by 3/1 ratio." This will get them thinking, and then they can do their own research.

I apologize if this forum reply is too long, I tend to go off on tangents like that. I really liked this article, and I am glad I registered so I could read more of them :) Thanks.

Delina
sweet_delina17

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks for your feedback everyone! :D I'm glad you like the article.

Holly.V.B, please feel free to reference the article in your college presentation.

Thanks,
Scott
Vegan Club ~ Please suggest ways to improve this site, thanks!
Scott
Site Admin

YES!

Postby michelledavegan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:50 pm

YES YES. could not have said it better. This issue is so frustrating. Of course any love for animals is good, but ignoring facts is inexcusable to me! Buying without thinking about the animals affected it is a vote against everything that animal rights is about.

Few people take advantage of the fact that we can, unlike other animals, base our decisions on our knowledge of facts; its a trait that humans often take for granted. One day humans will be forced to consider the greater good - i am glad to be on the fore front of the vegan movement! :D
michelledavegan

Postby ASOgden » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 pm

I just want you to know that I agree with you completely. The problem is that I can't even get my boyfriend to agree to AT the VERY LEAST buy Free-Range Chicken. He has seen "Fast Food Nation" and that (thank god) scared the beef lover out of him but how do I atleast get him to move to Free-Range chicken?
Also, I have three dogs-does anyone have any suggestions on veg. dog food? Thank you for what you do! Yes Vegans and Vegetarians CAN start a revolution!
ASOgden

Postby casey001 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 pm

I am glad to see this discussion. Too often people don't connect eating me with animals. I think it is because the grocery store is far removed from the slaughter yards. Thanks for bringing this up again and I hope that others will join in the conversation. Do you all know of international medical insurance rates are affected by this. Have you guys had this experience?
casey001

Return to Animal Rights