How to Get People to Become Vegan

News, articles, and current events that deal with veganism

Postby Scott » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:12 pm

by Scott Hughes

All vegans have their own reasons for becoming vegan. What they have in common is that they all choose to be vegan, presumably because they think it is better to be vegan than not. For the same reason they themselves become vegan, many vegans want to encourage other people to become vegan.

For example, if a person becomes vegan as to reduce animal suffering, then the person can reduce animal suffering even more by convincing other people to become vegan.

The question is how to get others to become vegan. Most people are stuck in their ways and do not want to go through the trouble of making drastic changes, such as becoming vegan.

Worse yet, many ways vegans try to convert others are counterproductive. For example, yelling at, insulting, or otherwise belligerently attacking non-vegans will not convert them to veganism. Such methods only make vegans seem crazy and make non-vegans angry. For the same reason, aggressive or violent animal rights activism usually causes more harm than good.

The way to convert people to veganism is by inspiring them to take veganism seriously and consider the tenets of veganism with respect. Accordingly, vegans can best convert others by being nice and respectable. Additionally, it's important to be respectful of other people, because if you respect them, they are more likely to respect you. Vegans need to be great people all-around, not just when it comes to veganism. By doing this, other people will like the vegan, will respect the vegan, and thus will be more likely to genuinely consider veganism.

Vegans can gain respect by trying as hard as possible to not be rude, arrogant, immature or mean.

When people ask about veganism, vegans need to respond politely and reasonably. Do not insult the non-vegan or try to make them feel bad. If vegans make other people feel bad, then those other people will not want anything to do with veganism. In contrast, if vegans are nice, warm-hearted people, others will want to emulate them and join them.

This is all based on a simple principle that has nothing specifically to do with veganism. That principle is that people will consider the ideas of a person more if they generally like, respect, and admire the person. If you try, it is not that hard to be a well-liked, respected, and admired person. Simply be as likable, respectable, and admirable as possible by being friendly, polite, honest, modest, and attentive.

Instead of trying to force people to be like us, we need to inspire people to want to be like us. That is how we can get people to become vegan.
Vegan Club ~ Please suggest ways to improve this site, thanks!
Scott
Site Admin

getting other people to convert... etc

Postby animalmama » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:18 am

i find that cooking someone something really nice will help.

but yeah i think yelling at people and being righteous (although secretly we know we are)

is a HUGE turnoff.

I wonder why Peta does that kind of stuff. I think subtlety :arrow: works wonders.
animalmama

What to tell people about why I'm vegan

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 pm

I just say I have two life-threatening medical conditions that get worse if I eat animal products/fat: high blood pressure and Type II diabetes. Both conditions are under control if I stay away from animal fat and too much sugar. So if you don't want me to keel over and die, pass the veggies. That usually cuts off the discussion quite nicely. :)
Dave

Postby Susanna69 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:02 am

:D When our body becomes more and more old,we definitely need to change our diet,and vegan food is a good choice.
Susanna69

Postby loran34 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 am

I agree that veggies are great for us. I also think that this is not right for everyone. Our bodies were created differently. Obviously, God provided animals for us to eat. Some people need meat in their diets, due to different body make up (have you ever read information on diets according to blood type?) So, I don't necessarily think we need to turn everyone to vegan. But, be aware of those around us and offer the suggestion when you hear of them speak of health issues that could be caused due to eating meat. I had the strangest opportunity to talk to someone about their health issues in hot tubs little rock. It so happened we were talking about the meals provided at the hotel and how we couldn't eat certain things. That started the whole vegan conversation.
loran34

Postby businessphones » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:14 am

Though for old ones vegan is good but sometimes for satiate they can have it...But going fully vegan would never be my choice!!!
businessphones

Re: How to Get People to Become Vegan

Postby torguwilly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 am

The way to convert people to veganism is by inspiring them to take veganism seriously and consider the tenets of veganism with respect and eating a diet that is based around plants is very heart healthy and is an easy way to lose weight naturally.
Some come in your life as lessons.
torguwilly

Return to Vegan News & Articles